Business-to-business (B2B) marketing is different from business-to-consumer (B2C) marketing in significant ways. To that end, B2B marketers need to know what uniquely resonates and truly motivates B2B buyers to click, register and buy. The following 10 B2B marketing stats give you critical insights into the B2B buyer’s mind, and may surprise even a seasoned pro!
1. B2B companies that blog generate 67% more leads per month than those who don’t. Blogging is an effective content marketing tactic, generating increased site traffic, boosting thought leadership, and creating a ton of inbound links from outside sources. So keep the blog content flowing!
Source: Social Media Today
2. Sixty-to-seventy percent of B2B marketing content goes unused. And it’s a shame! To put an end to this unpleasant statistic, learn to eliminate redundancy in your content activities. Engineer your content so that it aligns with customers’ needs and supports the types of conversations that are required to move the buying process forward.
Source: Sirius Decisions
3. Eighty percent of business decision makers prefer to get company information in a series of articles versus an advertisement. This should be no surprise in 2014. On average, 25% of B2B marketing budgets will be spent on a combination of content and digital marketing, while traditional advertising is held at just 6% (Forrester Research).
Source: Content Marketing Institute
4. Fifty-seven percent of the buyer journey is complete before prospects reach out to vendors. Always be proactive in your marketing to ensure you are reaching potential customers long before they come knocking at your door. From your website to your social networks and your presence at trade shows and events, ensure you are delivering a strong, consistent brand message across all customer touch points.
Source: The Corporate Executive Board (CEB)
5. Content creation is ranked as the single most effective SEO technique. More effective than keyword management, in fact! But while creating and updating existing content has its benefits, don’t produce content for the wrong reasons. To be truly successful, your content must thrill your audience with its level of usefulness or entertainment value.
Source: Marketing Sherpa 2013
6. While 63% of marketers create whitepapers, only 34% publish full-length eBooks. It’s time to flip-flop these numbers! While whitepapers conjure up visions of black and white, text-heavy downloads, eBooks bring to mind colors, visuals and tweetable bytes! Just guess which one your customer is more likely to download.
Source: Content Marketing Institute
7. Sixty-one percent of B2B marketers rate webinars as the most effective content marketing tactic. Why? There are many unique ways that marketers can leverage webinar content: live broadcast, webinar replay, SlideShare, Q&A, etc. From a B2B customer perspective, 84% have no preference between live and recorded webinars (Source: ClickZ). Use this to your advantage and explore new ways to deliver webinar content!
Source: Content Marketing Institute & MarketingProfs
8. Articles with images get 94% more views & videos on landing pages increase conversions by 86%. It almost makes you wonder why you’d ever create, publish or share content without a corresponding visual…doesn’t it?
Sources: Jeff Bullas; WebDAM
9. Sixty-four percent of decision-makers read their email via mobile devices. If ever you questioned why to optimize your content for mobile, this is your reason. By now, all email must be mobile-friendly along with the landing page your email directs to. Mobile optimization is no longer optional or you sacrifice reaching two-thirds of your target audience.
10. Ten percent of websites’ content drives 90% of the traffic. Perhaps a shocking stat, but totally addressable. Using analytics, you can overcome this ratio to deliver a wider range of more meaningful web content that captures your viewers’ attention!